F Collection: Seen & Heard Film Fest
March 15, 2012 § Leave a comment
Have you heard of Seen & Heard Film Festival? No? Keep reading! Yes? Keep reading anyway, and be inspired by the founder of the festival Lucy Randall, the message, and the films on offer.
Seen & Heard is a festival showcasing films made by women. It is a pay-by-donation event, making it super accessible, and it is on each Thursday for the rest of March at the Red Rattler in Marrickville.
There are a bunch of public transport options here.
Lucy Randall started Seen & Heard in 2009, as a response to the stats on women in the film industry:
- Women directed 5% of the top grossing films
- Women wrote 14% of the top grossing films
- Women comprised 18% of all executive producers
- Women comprised 25% of all producers
- 20% of all editors were women
- 4% of all cinematographers were women
These figures are from the Center for Study of Women in TV and Film, and you can find out more here.
Shocked? I was, and Lucy was too. She says:
I felt that people needed to feel a part of something to evoke a desire for change.