October 3, 2013 § Leave a comment
Recently I gave a workshop at an awesome conference out in Penrith called What’s Up West?
Part of the workshop was that I wrote a short list of feminist resources that I really love, roughly categorised into books, art, blogs and online mags, facebook pages, twitter handles and youtube vids.
Full disclosure: this is a list of stuff I like. It’s not an exhaustive list of feminist resources and it’s not meant to be. It’s things that have made me think, made my heart sing or skip a beat, and I wrote it with teen feminists in mind, but that doesn’t mean it’s all or ‘only’ for young adults.
Here it is:
- bell hooks feminism is for everybody (link takes you to a free pdf of the book)
- Novels by Alice Walker or Margaret Atwood (especially The Handmaid’s Tale). I loved Alice Walker so much when I was about 20, and her novels taught me more about race and feminism than any non-fiction I was reading at the time.
- Poetry by Adrienne Rich or Dorothy Porter. My favourite Rich poem is called North American Time.
Blogs/ online mags
- Rookie (esp anything by Jenny Zhang),
- Crunk Feminist Collective
- F Collective
- Black feminist ranter
- Poor Lass Zine
Thoughts from a man
What feminist ‘stuff’ do you like? Add ’em in the comments!